History of nashdom
History of Nashdom
Click on picture to see full screen
Nashdom, which was designed by the acclaimed architect Sir Edwin Lutyens, was completed in 1909 for Princess Dolgorouki, formerly Francis Wilson, heiress to her father's industrial empire, who married the Russian Prince Alexis Dolgorouki.
The Princess was renowned for her love of entertaining and wanted a house near to the Thames that was suitable for exiled royalty and weekend river parties. ‘Nashdom’ is Russian for ‘Our Home’.
After the Prince's untimely death in 1915, the Princess moved to France to see out her final years, and Nashdom was left to the Dolgorouki family, under the stewardship of Serge Alexandrovitch Dolgorouki.
In May 1924 it was sold to the Anglican Benedictine community, which needed more space, and so Nashdom became Nashdom Abbey. It remained a home to the Benedictine monks until 1987, when they moved to Elmore Abbey, near Newbury.
In 1997 it was lovingly converted into apartments. The home and gardens are Grade II* listed and are mentioned in the National Register of Historic Parks and Gardens.
Click here for an excellent Webinar on Nashdom by residents Katy and Jun
Click here for fantastic photos of Nashdom taken by residents and put together by Peter Robertshaw (resident)